Menu

Build a Joomla Website Forum

Free Joomla support for all and priority support for members.
  1. Heather
  2. Priority Support
  3. Tuesday, July 16 2013, 01:12 PM
  4.  Subscribe via email
Hi all,

First off, let me start by saying I have an extremely frustrating client who is hosting their website through a friend who refuses to give me access to the host. I have FTP access or I can email her what I need done and she'll do it.

On to my problem:

Whenever I have Search Engine Friendly URLs turned on in Joomla's Global Config area any articles I navigate to using the menu give me the error "404 - Category not found".

I've searched for solutions online but what I've found either:
a. cost money.
b. is for an older version of Joomla where the solution no longer translates.
c. seems half-assed (like creating a secret menu for each category to force Joomla to recognize them)

Any suggestions on what to try?
References
  1. http://bellaraejewelry.com/joomla/
Tristan Montano Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
Hi Heather,
There was a documented bug with Joomla 3.0's SEF plugin. You can take a look at the discussion by clicking on the Reference Link. Try upgrading your site to Joomla 3.1.1 and see if that resolves the issue. I'm not sure if v3.1 addressed this issue already though.
References
  1. http://forge.joomla.org/gf/project/joomla/tracker/?action=TrackerItemEdit&tracker_item_id=29319
Comment
There are no comments made yet.
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Priority Support
  3. # 1
Laurie Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
OK Hether, this is stupid!

You have a client who has a friend who controls the site but you are expected to run the site.

I'd give your client an ultimatum: Either her friend is the webmaster or you are. The client's decision!

If she goes with you, and this would be her best avenue since her friend apparently can't do the webmaster job, you'd do well to scrap the old site and start from scratch with new hosting.

But carefully consider the implications of the friend still having control of the original website, live on the web. She sounds like a proper bitch!

Either way, if the friend is still involved, I think you'd be better off out of it.

I wonder who has control of the domain name account? If your client has control of this, she can simply close the account and the friend will be left stranded or else change the DSN nameservers to a new hosting account.

Up to you, of course.

Best wishes!
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Priority Support
  3. # 2
Heather Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
Hey all,

I tried both of Richard's suggestions and neither worked. I'm running Joomla! 3.1.1 on an Apache server with PHP 5.3.24 installed.

I'm not sure who the host is but they seem pretty Joomla friendly since she was able to do a quick install for 2.5. I manually installed 3 for several reasons, the primary one was that her friend who handles the hosting wouldn't give me super user access to the original install.

I'd rather not have her change the host if I can avoid it. This is livable as long as it doesn't interfere with the HikaShop extension I installed that auto creates menu items for corresponding shop categories.

Thanks for any advice.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Priority Support
  3. # 3
Richard Pearce Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
Hosting in a sub-folder can cause this problem in some hosting environments. I think I discuss this a bit in the Troubleshooting lesson in The Basics. Although that related to installation problems, the same advice applies in this case. Two things to check:

1. Open the configuration.php file and look for this line:

public $live_site = '';

Change this to read:

public $live_site = 'http://bellaraejewelry.com/joomla/';

Remember to remove this or change it when you move the site to the main directory

2. If that doesn't work, open the .htaccess file (which as Laurie mentioned would have originally been named htaccess.txt) and look for the line:

# RewriteBase /

Change this to:

RewriteBase /joomla

Note that in my version there is no #

Upload the changed file(s) to the server and cross your fingers. If that fails, it is time to encourage your client to consider using a more Joomla-friendly host. Good luck with that - I've been down that road more than once.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Priority Support
  3. # 4
Laurie Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
You did rename the file htaccess.txt, didn't you?

Are you working on a linux server or windows?
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Priority Support
  3. # 5
Laurie Accepted Answer
Votes
Undo
OK Heather, more info needed please.

I'm tipping your php version is too old.

Please tell us what version of Joomla you are using and your host's php version.

See Site>System Information>System Information or whatever it 's called in your Joomla version.
Comment
  1. more than a month ago
  2. Priority Support
  3. # 6
  • Page :

There are no replies made for this post yet.
However, you are not allowed to reply to this post.

Free Joomla TutorialLearn Joomla for free with our 16 lesson, 2 hour course.

Get Started