Tutorials, reviews, case studies and other tips to help website owners and website developers master the Joomla content management system.
How to add a PDF to a Joomla Article
Creating links to articles or menu items or files such as a PDF is not so easy using the default editor supplied with Joomla. So in this tutorial I demonstrate how to achieve this easily by replacing the standard editor with JCE.
Click images below to enlarge
1. LOGIN to Administrator
2. NAVIGATE to Content ---> Media Manager
3. Underneath the file listing window, locate the box where you can create a new folder.
4. ENTER a name for the folder e.g. docs and CLICK Create Folder
5. If you haven't already, DOWNLOAD and INSTALL JCE
6. I recommend that you set JCE as the default editor. NAVIGATE to Global Configuration ---> Site and look for Default Editor. Change this to JCE.
7. Now you're ready to create or edit an article or module. In this example I will edit an existing article. NAVIGATE to Content ---> Article Manager and find the appropriate article. CLICK the heading to enter edit mode.
8. Note that if you just installed and enabled JCE that the editor looks quite different. HIGHLIGHT the text that will act as the link and CLICK the link icon in the editor. This looks like a chain is is usually found in the bottom row of the editor. This opens a new window.
9. CLICK the Browse icon towards the top right of the window. This opens yet another new window.
10. In the left column, HIGHLIGHT the name of the folder that was created in Step 4.
11. CLICK the Upload icon towards the top right. You will see yet another new window.
12. CLICK the Browse button, LOCATE the file from your local computer and CLICK the UPLOAD button.
13. You are returned to the File Browser window and the file you just uploaded is displayed. It should already be selected, but if not, CLICK it so it appears highlighted. CLICK the Insert button.
14. You are returned to the Link window. Note that the URL field now contains the path to your file. CLICK Update at the bottom of the window.
15. You have now created a location for your file uploads, uploaded a file and linked to it. Remember to save your article or module.