Tutorials, reviews, case studies and other tips to help website owners and website developers master the Joomla content management system.
Why I hate Joomla templates
Last week I told you why I love using templates. But they are not always the best approach so let's have a look at why I hate templates:
- they restrict your goals: ideally you should decide what you want on your website and build a design to suit rather than make content decisions to fit into an existing design
- sometimes inflexible: you might begin with a workable site but find that it is hard to manipulate as your needs grow e.g. it might only include a simple, single level menu
- your site might look similar to another site: there are millions of websites so I actually don't think this criticism is as warranted as some would believe, but it does need to be considered
- might not match your other branding: the "look" of the template might not match your other promotional material
- might not be possible to insert your own logo: if you have a logo, ensure that you can easily place this into the template
If money is not an issue and you have enough time, then getting a professionally designed template is the way to go. Pre-made templates will often give you grief at some point but if you have bought from a reputable supplier then they will usually help you sort out any problems.